Sunday 2 August 2009

Winnall Moors Sunday 2 August 2009

Hi Anyone and Everyone,

This is my very first blog and I don't expect that anyone will feel inclined to read it - which in someways is just fine - it will provide an outlet for me to just record things that have struck me as interesting or beautiful. It feels like a very old fashioned but of course public diary.


Today we (my husband Rob) and I have been to Winnall Moors in Winchester which the Hampshire Wildlife Trust of which I am a member have done a huge amount of work on. It is extremely impressive and I felt somewhat ashamed not to have contributed time to the cause as a volunteer.

I loved the way in which the board walks take the eye in different directions, allowing the walker to really see all the beautiful views on offer.

I was a bit concerned to see a group of young families clearly enjoying the moors but with a dog in tow and not even on the lead. I find this a bit of a dilemma.

It is of course great to encourage the younger generations to wildlife but the rules are quite explicit at the only entrance to the moors. No dogs are allowed. I am a dog owner of two mad spaniels one springer and one clumber and whilst I would love to walk them on the moors I can well understand why this would not be appropriate. There were many young chicks - moorhens and coots and to disturb them would be entirely wrong. I also accept that whilst many dog owners clear up after their dogs it is the case that not all do and I expect that some would take the view that it wouldn't matter too much in what is a wildlife reserve. (I of course do not share that view). No, even as a dog owner - I can see real benefit in not allowing dogs on the moor - it gives a special feel to the place and we dog owners can go elsewhere when we wish to walk the dogs. I entirely accept that this will not be everyone's view but as it is my blog I guess that it is fair enough that it is my view!

Anyway - now then let's see - I wonder if I can attach photos to this somehow. Talk amongst yourselves while I go and figure out just how to do this.














Ok... well I am not sure that I am loading photos in the most efficient way but I expect that I will get the hang of it....







I am sure to a more experienced photographer (I can think of one or two I know) this could be a much better shot technically but I am pretty new to the whole digital photography game having finally just bought a new camera to help with my hobby so I hope that improvements will be seen during the coming weeks and months.


That will do for now I guess. Back to work tomorrow on the 7.05 no doubt...Have a good week one and all.


Kate


3 comments:

  1. Good on ya! It's a bit of a mare doing the formatting but it's easier to put the photos on first and type round them. Coot photos are just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate, great blog. Recognised your photo - I too used to work in HR for a law firm in London - we used to board the 0705 from Winchester together! I got out of it and now work as a volunteer for HWT amongst other things - there is life after work...give it a go, you've been commuting too long!

    ReplyDelete